University of Sargodha Sociology (Elective) B.A / B.Sc Syllabus
(Syllabi and Courses of Reading)
Paper A: General Sociology: 100
Paper B: Sociological Theory, Research and Social Problem. 100
Grant Total: 200
|Paper A:||General Sociology|
Note: (All the topics should be covered in the context of Pakistani Society)
- Definition of Sociology
- Subject Matter
- Relationship of Sociology with other Social Sciences: Political Sciences, Psychology, Economics, History and Anthropology.
- Utility and application of Sociology.
- Social Groups:-
- Types of Groups: Primary Groups, Secondary Groups, In Groups, Out Groups, Formal Groups and Informal Groups.
- Distinction between Social Groups and Social Categories.
- Other Related Concepts: Reference Groups, Locality Groups, Society.
- Social Interaction:-
- Importance of Social Interaction.
- Processes of Social Interaction: Cooperation, Competition, Conflict, Assimilation, Accommodation and Acculturation.
- Social Norms:-
- Types of Social Norms: Folkways, Mores (Amar-o-Nehi), Laws.
- Other Related Concepts: Deviancy, Social Control, Social Sanctions, Toboos, Values and Beliefs.
- Status and Role:-
- Types of Status and Role: Achieved and Ascribed.
- Related Concepts: Role Conflict and Role Playing.
- Elements of Culture: Traits, Patterns, Complexes, Ethos.
- Types of Culture: Non-Material and Material, Ideal and Real.
- Cultural Uniformity and Cultural Variability.
- Other Related Concepts: Sub-Culture, Cultural Relativism and Ethnocontrism.
- Socialization and Personality:-
- Personality: Important factors in personality formation including Heredity, Socio-Cultural and Unique Experiences. Interplay of these factor.
- Socialization: As a Process in Role Taking and Role Playing.
- Concept of Self: Theories of George Meahd and C.H. Cooley.
- Social Stratification:-
- Caste, Bradari and Class.
- Social Mobility and its Types and Factors Affecting Mobility.
- Social Institutions:-
- Types of Social Institutions: Political, Economic, Religious, Education, Family and Kinship and Recreational.
- Interrelationship of Social Institutions.
- Social and Cultural Change:-
- Factors of Socio-Cultural Change.
- Resistance to Socio-Cultural Change.
- Socio-Cultural Change in Pakistani Society.
|1.||Baqai, M.S.||Social Order in Pakistani Society, Karachi: National Book Foundation, 1975|
|2.||Chaudhary, Iqbal M.||“Umraniyat”, Lahore: Aziz Publishers, 1981|
|3.||Horton Paul B. and Hundhester L.||Sociology, Singapore: Mc Graw Hill Book Company, 1990|
|4.||Koening, Samuel||Sociology – An Introduction to the Science of Society, New York: Bames and Noble Books, Horper and Row Publishers, 1957.|
|5.||Malik Abdul Hamid||“Ibtidal Moasheryat” Lahore: Standard Book House, 1994.|
|6.||Rao N. Shaukar||Sociology, New Delhi: S. Hand and Company Ltd. 1990.|
|Paper B:||Sociological Theory and Research:|
Social Thought and Sociological Theory:-
- Meaning and Nature of Social Thought.
- Meaning and Nature of Sociological Theory:
- Brief Introduction to Muslim Social Thought:-
Ibn-e-Khaldun, Imam Ghazali and Shah Wali Ullah.
Auguste Comte, Emile Durkheim and Max Weber.
- Research Methodology:-
- Scientific Method and its application to Sociology.
- Types of Sociological Research: Exploratory, Descriptive and Explanatory / Experimental.
- Relationship between Theory and Research.
- Different Methods of Sociological Research: Qualitative and Quantitative Methods.
- Research Design:-
- Selection of problem
- Concepts Literature Review
- Plan of Work
- Universe and Sampling:-
- Definition of Universe.
- Definition of Sampling.
- Types of Sample: Simple Random Sample and Stratified Sample.
- Data Collection:-
- Techniques of Data Collection: Interviewing and Observation.
- Tools of Data Collection: Interview schedule and questionnaire.
- Analysis of Data:-
- Frequency Distribution and Tabulation.
- Ratios and Percentages.
- Measure of Central Tendency (Average): Mean, Median and Mode.
- Social Problems:-
- Crime & Delinquenty
- Environmental Pollution
|1.||Baker, Therese L.||Doing Social Research, New York: The Free Pess, 1988|
|2.||Goode, William, J. and Paul K. Hatt:||Methods in Social Research, London: McGraw Hill, 1952|
|3.||Horton, B. and Lesie Gerald R. (latest ed)||—-|
|4.||Young, Pauline V||Scientific Social Surveys and Research, Tokyo: charles E. Tutritie o.|
|5.||Ali. Dr. M. Basharat:||Muslims: The first Sociologists, Lahore: Maktabai-Miliya.|
|6.||Taga, Abdul Hameed||“Umrani Nazria wa Tahqeeq”, Lahore: Islmai Brothers Publiehrs, 1991|
|7.||Ahmad, Fahmida Masood||“Moashrati Masael Ki Omraniat”, Karachi: Illmi Kitab Ghar, 1992.|
|8.||Khalid, Mohammad||Sociological Theory: A Historial Perpective, Karachi: Kifayat Academy, 1990.|
Can’t find what you’re looking for?Tell us the info you need and we’ll get back to you.
- OUR FACEBOOK PAGE